How to choose a good mat for yoga or fitness?
If you are engaged in fitness or yoga, then you probably need a special mat. Since your comfort and qualities depend on its qualities and characteristics, you should approach the purchase of such an accessory responsibly. But how to make the right choice? What should I look for first?
Do I need a mat?
Do I need, in general, a personal yoga mat? Undoubtedly, such an accessory can be called necessary. First, it is worth it to buy at least for personal hygiene, as it is not safe to work on the floor or on a public rug, because bacteria can live everywhere. Secondly, the mat will provide you with convenience. You will not be cold or hard, and sometimes it is very important. Thirdly, if you buy a rug, you simply can not give up classes (yes, such an argument is important for some).
What should be mats for fitness?
We list the requirements for fitness mats:
- The rug must absorb moisture.It is clear that during classes you can sweat, and it will not be very pleasant to practice on the surface that is wet from your sweat. Sometimes it's just dangerous.
- The material should not stretch too much. When doing stretching exercises, you do not have to worry about getting hurt. So when you buy, pull the rug. If he is stretched out, give up buying.
- The mat should not slip, even on the slippery surface, such as laminate or tile. Increased slip will make training ineffective, uncomfortable, and sometimes dangerous.
- This accessory should not distract from training and attract attention to yourself, so avoid bright and "acidic" shades, as well as large drawings.
- The rug should be soft enough to provide proper cushioning and body support. But such an accessory can not be too soft.
- High-quality and practical mat can be easily washed with water with regular soap, it is convenient and fast. If the material can only be cleaned with special wipes, it will add unnecessary worries and problems.
- The accessory should not be too heavy.
We list the main types of mats for fitness and yoga:
- The “ab mats” mat is a short and rather dense mat that will be comfortable when performing exercises on a press. It is much thicker and tougher than other types, but dynamic or strength training with such an accessory will not be comfortable due to the strong slip.
- “Workout mat” is an almost universal accessory. It is softer and longer, usually consists of several segments and can be folded. This option is convenient for non-professional workouts and classes at home. It provides sufficient cushioning and almost does not slip, but complex exercises do not work on it.
- "Mind body" - a one-piece pieceless rug that needs to be rolled up. Depreciation is sufficient, you can perform any exercise. This is the best option for permanent or professional studies.
What is it made of?
When choosing, you should pay attention to the material from which the mat is made. There are several options:
- Rugs made of synthetic materials (polyvinyl chloride - PVC) are the most inexpensive and therefore most demanded, especially among beginners. This accessory is quite practical, it does not fade and is almost not damaged, easy to clean.The denser the material, the longer the mat lasts. But this accessory can slide on some surfaces, so it is not suitable for yoga.
- Thermoplastic elastomer mats are more resilient, softer and more pleasant to the touch, and also retain their shape better even after serious mechanical stress. This accessory can be used in any conditions, including in nature. The rug will absorb sweat, to care for it is simple. The material is non-slip, durable and durable, and also lightweight. But such a rug will cost more than PVC.
- For the manufacture of used and elastic natural materials such as rubber or rubber with the addition of jute. Rubber is quite heavy and does not absorb moisture, but does not preserve unpleasant odors, does not slip and does not electrify. The thickness is impressive, the material is quite soft. The rubber is quite soft and elastic, keeps its shape and does not slip, and also durable. But natural material mats are heavier and, as a rule, more expensive.
- Also on sale you can find cotton rugs. They absorb moisture well and retain body heat, but can slip and do not provide the necessary support.This option is suitable, rather, for the most simple exercises.
We are determined with the size
How to choose a comfortable mat for fitness and yoga? It is important to determine the optimal size of the rug, which will depend on your parameters. Some useful tips:
- The length of the rug can vary from 170 to 240 centimeters. How to decide? It all depends on your height, as well as on the exercises that you plan to perform. So, if the lessons are calm and not too dynamic, then to determine the optimal length, add 10 centimeters to the height. If your workouts are dynamic, then add to the growth of 20-40 centimeters, on too short a rug you will be uncomfortable.
- Width usually varies from 60 to 80 centimeters. Of course, it is best to choose a wide mat so that nothing binds your movements. But if you have to go to the gym by public transport, then this accessory can disturb you and other passengers. But remember that too narrow mats are not very comfortable.
- Now it is necessary to determine the thickness. In general, it can vary from 1.5 to 6-8 millimeters. It is better to choose a rather thick rug.Firstly, it will protect you from the cold emanating from the floor, and, secondly, it will provide maximum comfort during classes and help you to rest on your knees or elbows without unpleasant sensations. So the optimal thickness is 4.5-6 millimeters. There are also thicker mats, but you should not buy such an accessory, it can prevent you from feeling your own body.
How to wear?
It is advisable to purchase a mat with a non-wetting cover, equipped with a comfortable handle. This will protect the accessory from wetting and environmental influences and at the same time ensure the wearer's comfort when carrying.
How to care for a rug?
Do I need to care for a rug? Sure yes. Fundamental rules:
- After purchase, wash the mat. The accessory from PVC can be washed in the typewriter, a mat made of thermoplastic elastomer should be washed by hand, and a rubber or rubber mat is better to simply wipe.
- Do not fold the rug, it can lead to the formation of creases, it is better to twist it into a roll.
- Clean the accessory as it gets dirty. Do not use aggressive detergents, they may damage the materials.
Get a comfortable mat for yoga and fitness and do it with pleasure and comfort.
How to find the height in a right triangle
Victoria Bonya, Yulia Volkova: a plastic surgeon reveals the secrets of stars
How to organize a New Year'
How to choose the right tent
How does it feel to live in a trailer