My Top Curly Hair Hacks (Tips & Tricks)
How to Make Curly Hair Beautiful and Frizz Free
Curly hair often tends to be coarse, unruly, and frizzy. Fortunately, it does not have to be this way. With proper care, curly hair can be soft, shiny, and beautiful. This article will show you how to tame your unruly mane into soft, sleek curls. Keep in mind that not all treatments will work for everyone, and that you may need to do some experimenting before finding one that's right for you.
Washing and Drying Your Hair Properly
Know what shampoo and conditioner is good for curly hair.Try to get products that are made specifically for curly hair. They will contain extra nutrients that curly hair needs to look smooth, soft, and healthy. Here are some other things you should look for:
- Moisturizing or hydrating shampoos/conditioners add moisture back into your hair, making it look less frizzy and dry.
- Oils and butters, such as avocado oil and shea butter, also add moisture back into your. This will help make it feel soft and smooth.
- Protein will help make your hair healthy, shiny, and strong. This will help reduce frizz.
Avoid using products that contain silicones, sulfates, and parabens.Silicones are plastics that are found in many styling products. They can only be removed by sulfates, which are harsh cleaning agents. Sulfates can make curly hair dry and frizzy. Parabens are preservatives, and may be linked to cancer; it is best to avoid them altogether.
Avoid using styling products with alcohol in them.Alcohol can make curly hair feel dry, and dry hair tends to look frizzy. Hairsprays, gels, and mousses all tend to contain alcohol. Read the ingredient label before purchasing any of these types of products.If something you cannot find anything without alcohol, try to find something where alcohol is towards the end of the ingredient list.
Don't wash your hair every day.Curly hair does not produce as many natural oils as other types of hair, so tends to get dry and frizzy easily. Washing your hair every day will remove all of those helpful oils. Instead, try to wash your hair two to three times a week. If you have very dry hair, you may want to reduce that to once a week.
Apply shampoo to the roots and work your way down.There should be hardly any shampoo on the ends of your hair. Shampoo can by drying, and the ends of your hair are the most fragile.
Apply conditioner to the ends and work your way up.There should be hardly any conditioner on the roots of your hair. Conditioner weighs your hair down. It may also make the roots more greasy. Let the conditioner sit for two to three minutes, or longer if the label says to.
Try to let you hair air dry, and avoid using a towel.Heat can made curly hair frizzy, and the coarse texture of most towels can snag and tear the delicate hairs. Instead, allow your hair to air dry. If you must towel dry it, try blotting it with a microfiber cloth instead. A microfiber cloth is soft, so it won't snag your hair. It is also absorbent, so it will soak up the excess moisture.
Try using a diffuser or hooded dryer to dry your hair.Heat can damage curly hair and make it frizzy. If you have to blow dry your hair, try attaching a diffuser to your hair dryer. You will disperse the heat and make it less intense. This will prevent tangles and frizz. You can also use a hooded dryer; this works great for kinky or textured hair.
- Be sure to spray your hair down with a heat protection spray before using a diffuser.
Styling Your Hair with Care
Do not brush your hair when it is dry.Doing so will cause the curls to separate and become frizzy. If you need to tame your hair, try combing it with damp fingers, or applying a little bit of hair oil or styling cream. A wide-toothed comb is also safe to use.
Detangle wet curls with a wide tooth comb.The bristles are spaced far enough so that they won't disrupt the natural curl pattern of your hair. Comb your hair starting from the ends first, and work your way up in small sections. Never comb your hair straight down from the roots to the ends. This will create snags, tangles, and frizz.
- If your hair is extra stubborn, try applying some oil, styling cream, or leave-in conditioner first.
Get the right haircut.What looks great on your curly-haired friend may not look so good on you. Every curl is different. What haircut will look best on you will depend on how long you want your hair to be, how curly your hair is, and how much effort you are willing to put into your hair when styling her. Here are some tips and ideas:
- If you have tight, spiral curls, try to get longer layers.This will help weigh your hair down a little so it doesn't poof up, but it won't disrupt the curl pattern.
- If you have long, wavy hair, try getting some long layers. Keep the layers minimal, or your hair may poof out.
- If you like shorter hairstyles, try a long, shoulder-length bob. Keep it long in the front, and short in the back. This will help define your curls.
- If you like really short hair, don't be afraid to get a pixie cut! Just make sure that it is shorter on the sides and longer at the top.
Use flat irons and curling irons sparingly and with care.Both can damage curly hair and make it frizzy. If you have to use a flat iron or curling iron, spray your hair with a heat protection spray first. Adjust your flat iron or curling iron to a lower temperature setting before using it on your hair.
- Do not go higher than 400°F (205°C) or you will damage your hair.
Using the Right Products and Treatments
Hydrate and nourish your hair with a hot oil treatment.Pour some food-grade oil into a jar. Put the jar in bowl of hot water and wait 2 to 3 minutes until the oil becomes hot. Massage the oil into your hair, then tuck your hair under a shower cap. Wait 30 minutes to 2 hours, then wash the oil out.The oil will help soften and hydrate your hair, making it less frizzy. Here is a list of oils that you can try:
- Avocado oil is ultra moisturizing, making it perfect for dry and frizzy hair.
- Coconut oil not only smells great, but it will make your hair shiny.
- Jojoba oil is a light oil, making it ideal for oily hair.
- Rice bran oil is full of vitamin E. It makes hair stronger, so it's great on hair that is dry and brittle.
Rinse your hair once or twice a month with diluted vinegar.Mix 3 tablespoons of vinegar with 3 cups (700 milliliters) of water. After you have finished washing your hair, tilt your head back and pour the vinegar water over your hair. Be sure to get your scalp as well. Rinse the vinegar out using cold water.
- You can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar; apple cider vinegar will have a stronger smell, but it is full of nutrients.
- The vinegar will help dissolve any buildup from hair product or hard water, and the cold water will help seal the hair cuticle. This will make your hair appear smoother and less frizzy.
Try making a nourishing hair smoothie.Mix 1 can of coconut milk, 1 avocado, 2 tablespoons or honey, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a blender. Once you get a smooth texture, apply the mixture to your hair, then rinse it out.
- The coconut milk will help moisturize your hair, making it less frizzy.
- The avocado will give your hair the protein it needs to be strong and healthy.
- The honey will make your hair shiny.
- The olive oil will moisturize your hair, making it appear less dry and frizzy.
Use styling products with care, and make sure that they are alcohol free.Unfortunately, many holding gels and sprays contain alcohol, which can dry out curly hair. If you want to give your hair a little extra hold try some pure aloe vera gel. It will help you get some of that crunchy texture, but it won't dry out your hair.
Purchase the right styling products.If you do not want to make your own treatments, you can purchase some from a beauty store. Make sure that the product is free of sulfates, silicones, and parabens. Look for ingredients such as butters and oils; they will help hydrate your hair and make it less frizzy. Here are some other things you could look for:
- Moisturizing or hydrating creams will make your hair appear less dry.
- Smoothing and de-frizzing creams will make your hair appear smoother.
- Leave-in conditioners will continue to work on your hair, even after you have stepped out of the shower.
- Deep conditioning masks and treatments can be used a few times a month. You apply it to damp hair, then leave your hair under a shower cap for around 20 minutes. Once the time is up, you can rinse your hair and let it dry. This works best after shampooing.
Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase.Both of these fabrics help keep moisture in your hair, which is important for silky, shiny hair. You can also use a silk or satin nightcap instead. Avoid sleeping on pillowcases made from cotton and other fabrics; they can dry your hair out, leading to frizz.The coarse texture of cotton may also create snags and tears, which can also lead to frizz.
- If you can't get any silk or satin pillowcases, try braiding your hair before you go to sleep.
QuestionWhat can I use if my hair is mainly frizzy and not curly?Isabel LourieCommunity AnswerCondition it DEEPLY and make sure not to rinse it all out, or add in some leave-in conditioner. Dry by scrunching with a t-shirt or micro fiber towel. Don't dry with a normal towel! Also, make sure you don't brush it. Detangle with your fingers in the shower, but try to leave it at that. Brushing produces frizz.Thanks!
QuestionCan I use the same method for my wavy hair?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. I also have wavy hair and all the products mentioned here help a lot.Thanks!
QuestionIf I am going to braid my hair before bed, should I braid it loose or tight?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThat depends on what texture you want. The tighter you braid it, the kinkier it gets. Just make sure not to braid super-tight. If you're only braiding it to protect it and not for a specific look, then a moderately loose braid (just enough to hold together well and not fall apart) is best.Thanks!
QuestionI don't blow dry my hair, and I have tried many different products to combat frizz, but none have worked. Can you give me any tips?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMake sure you're using a conditioner that helps add moisture to your hair, like Three Minute Miracle by Aussie. Next, after you get out of the shower, dry your hair with a 100% cotton t-shirt. If you choose to use a towel, make sure you don't rub your hair in the towel. Finally, apply some coconut butter and a leave-in conditioner.Thanks!
QuestionWhy do my curls show less when my hair grows out?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe longer your hair is, the heavier it is, so it's probably just getting weighed down and stretching out your curls.Thanks!
QuestionMy hair is dry and wavy. How do I make it straight and soft?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you were born with curvy hair, then you can't make it look straight forever. Use a straightener once in a while, but don't overdo it, as the heat will just dry up your hair.Thanks!
QuestionMy hair is really thick and curly. I thought of cutting it, but I want long hair, just not as thick. What can I do?Isabel LourieCommunity AnswerThick hair is really envied by many other people! Learn to embrace it. Also, let your hair grow long. The longer it is, the heavier. Your hair will be weighed down and will seem less thick. Make sure to trim the ends to keep it healthy and promote hair growth.Thanks!
QuestionDo these tips apply to natural (4B/4C) hair?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, but for type 4 hair, don't use oil because your hair gets super oily as is. Use a leave-in conditioner after the shower as well as a holding gel for the best look.Thanks!
QuestionWhich shampoo is the best for curly hair?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerChoose a shampoo with natural oils and ingredients, such as coconut oil. Avoid using shampoo with silicones and sulfates, as this can lead to dry hair. Lastly, consider searching for a shampoo that is labeled for curly hair; they tend to be more moisturizing and nourishing than other types of shampoo.Thanks!
QuestionWhy is my hair frizzy no matter what I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can try going to the salon to get treatments, but that’s just the way your hair is. If you want it to be naturally less frizzy, apply a little bit of coconut oil every day.Thanks!
To make curly hair beautiful and frizz-free, limit shampooing to 2-3 times per week to avoid stripping the natural oils from your hair. After washing your hair, blot it gently with a microfiber cloth to soak up excess water instead of using a terry cloth towel, which can cause frizz and breakage. Always detangle wet curls with a wide tooth comb and avoid using products that contain silicones, sulfates, alcohol, and parabens to prevent dryness and frizz!
- Don't brush your hair when it is dry. Use a wide toothed comb or your fingers. You can also use a soft-bristled brush, such as a boar bristle brush.
- Once in a while, use Velcro rollers to get cute, spiral curls without heat damage.
- Don't sleep with your hair down.
- What Try not to add water too much it just makes the frizz worse.
- Avoid using too much product in your hair, especially if it contains sulfates, silicones, and parabens. These can damage your hair.
- Avoid styling your hair using too much heat. This can dry your hair and lead to frizz.
- Keep in mind that some products and treatments need a little more time to work. If something doesn't work after the first time you use it, try using it two or three more times. If you still don't see any results, then consider switching to something else.
Sources and Citations
- Wellness Mama,
- Naturally Curly,
- Naturally Curly,
- Total Beauty,
- Total Beauty,
- Naturally Curly,
- Crunchy Betty,
- Crunchy Betty,
- Crunchy Betty,
- Naturally Curly,
- Naturally Curly,
- Naturally Curly,
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Italiano: , Русский: , Deutsch: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , العربية: , Nederlands: , Tiếng Việt: , ไทย:
Video: Easy Curly Hair Routine (Wet to Dry!) | Luxy Hair
Marriage Secrets From the Women Who Know
How to Choose a Content Management System
How to Measure a Fitness Ball
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Buddha Bowl
How to Wrap Your Hair in a Towel
Very Stylish yet Very Practical Dressing Room Designs by Mobalpa
10 Daring Pixie Haircuts for Women, Short Hairstyle and Color
How to Do a Turkish Get Up Exercise with Kettlebells
Spring Salmon Fettuccine
What Julia Roberts Does to Make 49 Look Like 39
Why 10AM Is The Best Time To Start Your Work Day
How to Make a Presentation